What to Expect From Collision Repair in Louisville, KY
Posted on October 15, 2015 by Douglas Addington
Have you recently been involved in a car accident and now need collision repair in Louisville, KY? Many people visiting a collision repair shop have never gone through the process of having their vehicle repaired. The process is actually pretty simple, and ultimately will end when your vehicle is perfectly safe to drive and there is no noticeable damage left from the accident. Read below to learn more about what you can expect when visiting a collision repair shop for vehicle repair:
- Inspection: A thorough vehicle inspection helps to determine the extent of the damage. Oftentimes there is internal damage that is not visible without some further disassembly. This process is usually necessary to determine the appropriate time and cost of repairs, including parts that may need to be ordered and labor cost estimates. The vehicle inspection allows the technicians to provide data for insurance review. When the inspection is complete, an estimate is provided to you in written form.
- Insurance: Once the estimate is complete, it is provided to the insurance company for review. There may be some negotiations on the price and procedures required to repair the vehicle, as well as debate about whether the vehicle can even be repaired at all. Once settled, you can learn the amount insurance is paying for your vehicle repair and finalize whether you want to go forward with the repairs. Choose a shop for collision repair in Louisville, KY that makes working with insurance an easy process.
- Parts: The repair process begins once the shop receives all of the necessary parts. Special order parts will take longer and may prolong the process, but for most vehicles, parts are readily available. Once they arrive, old parts are removed and new parts are prepped for installation.
- Structural repairs: It is crucial that parts are not simply swapped without first conducting any necessary structural repairs. A sophisticated measuring system is used to monitor all aspects of the frame to ensure everything is aligned correctly. Failing to go through this process will mean that the car is not actually safe to drive, even though it will appear perfect again. Make sure you choose a shop for reliable collision repair in Louisville, KY that will ensure your vehicle is safe for the road again.
- Body repair: After ensuring the frame is in factory condition, the technicians can then move onto repairing the aesthetic features of your car. This includes replacing broken parts with new parts that are painted to match your vehicle. It also involves replacing necessary detailing or weather stripping. Once again, the goal is to make it appear that the vehicle was never involved in a car accident. When picking up the vehicle, be certain to carefully inspect that the paint matches and everything seems to be correctly installed.
After the body repairs are complete, the car is just about ready to hit the road again. Typically collision repair shops will give the car a quick detailing to give it that new car shine, and after finalizing any payments, you are done with the collision repair process. For more questions about collision repair, contact St. Matthews Imports – Auto Repair & Service.